Wednesday, April 29, 2009

That SO Does Not Apply to ME!

Ever had those moments? You’re listening to a message or sermon, and you stop listening because it doesn’t apply to you. You assume the message is just not for you that day. Attempting not to waste precious time on non-necessary messages, you move on to other important things, such as writing your To Do list, or your grocery list, in the margin of your sermon notes.

I had one a few weeks ago.

Our Pastor was speaking on “Renewing the Romance,” not with our spouses, but with our Creator. It was a great message, I’ve heard it several times, and even have the CD. But for some reason that day, I didn’t relate. Pastor Mark was talking about how we pray and pray for God to give us blessings, such as a big raise, promotion, new(bigger, different) car, new house, etc. and we just don’t understand why God doesn’t give them to us. He went on to say that sometimes the reason God says no is because granting such a request would simply fuel the affair we are having with the mistress called; our new car, bigger house, etc. God should be our first love, and when we put anything before God, that is like us having an affair.

I immediately surmised, “That doesn’t apply to me, because I am simply not that materialistic. Nice things are great, but I am happy with my job, our finances are decently stable, and I don’t care what I drive, or where I live right now.” So I continued making out my schedule for the week... busy, busy, busy.
The message continued on for a little while longer, and I could tell he was winding down the message, so I folded up my notebook and started to move to the back of the auditorium so that I could finish off my duties as service manager. Right when I stood up, Pastor Mark repeated the comment about us having affairs just as he did earlier. But this time, as I thought in the back of my mind, “Still not me…!” In a split second, a thought from out of nowhere, from outside of my own thoughts, was deposited into my brain and hit me in the face.

Now before I tell you what the thought was, let me first give you some background information. I have a wonderful husband. He is incredible to me, more than I deserve. He is an amazing man in every way…almost. But Ladies, let’s be real, even though our husbands maybe be as close to perfection as any human can get, they still have some work to do. I had recently really been praying that God would make Jay into the romantic, love -machine man I dreamed of marrying as a young girl. I needed to be swept off my feet at least 2-3 times a day; I really didn’t think that was too much to ask.

Now, back to the deposited thought into my brain, which I have no doubt came straight from God himself…

I may not be worried about what I drive or where I live, but the affair I was having was with my own husband. I already have more than a little tendency to put Jay before God; so why would God answer my prayer to make Jay even more amazing, and then I would depend on him more to fulfill me, instead of depending on the true lover of my soul, Jesus. If that prayer was answered it would only fuel my affair and take my dependence off of God.

Now, let me tell you something, this may not be some huge revelation to some of you, but this was incredible to me, I can’t fully describe the moment. There is no way I thought this thought on my own. It was completely deposited in my brain like a box that I just had to open. I know God spoke to me that Sunday, so I listened.
I say all that to say this, careful when you start to think something doesn’t apply to you, that you have already superseded that point in your life, because that probably is a symptom of pride, I know it was with me.

We must always depend on God for our fulfillment, not our husbands, children, friends, job, or even our ministries. Why would God bless something that we are putting in front of him?

So today, may you take time out of your day, to cultivate your love life with your Creator. And just maybe, He will sweep you off your feet and give you a box to open…

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Caley...absolutely LOVED your blog...I relate sooo much...being the pastor's wife, so many times I said the same thing when my husband would began to preach...to make a looong story short..One Sunday when I heard the title of his message I immediately thought of sooo many church members that needed to HEAR that..God immediately gave me a vision and called me into a service for Him that I would never have attempted on my own...I was really the one that needed that message more than anyone else...that's been many years ago and I've never regretted yielding to God that day....Sorry this is so long but it really brought back memories... love you Caley...keep up the good Word....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so funny that when we think of putting 'things' before God we do think of houses, cars, clothes... again, things. But I heard a minister one time say that we can fall more in love with the ministry than we do God. Get more excited about doing for God that we forget about God.
    Good blog Caley, we all need to remember our 'first love' and sometimes do those first works over... again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caley, reading stuff like this is so awesome and helpful. When it comes to God, everything applies to us and sometimes we don't think so. Can't wait til Jayley comes to Gainesville officially...

    ReplyDelete